The john Wayne airport Started As a private landing strip built in the 1920s by aviation leader Eddie Martin on Irvine Company land. In 1923, Martin established a traveling college and Martin Aviation, one of many nation’s earliest aviation firms. It became Orange Region Airport, a publicly-owned ability, in 1939 through a land exchange involving the Irvine Company and the Region of Orange. Following helping as a military bottom during Earth War II, it was returned by the federal government to the Region with the stipulation that Orange Region Airport stays open to all or any forms of aviation uses.
In 1967, a 22,000 square base Final was built. The Eddie Martin Final was named following the first founder and pioneer. In 1979, the Table of Supervisors for the Region of Orange renamed Orange Region Airport to John Fred Airport, Orange Region, in memory of the late movie celebrity and Newport Beach resident.
The Thomas F. Riley Final opened to people on September 16, 1990, and is named after the former Sixth Section Supervisor whose position in community negotiations sophisticated the Airport Development Project that resulted in constructing the new Final complex. The first Eddie Martin Final was demolished in 1994.
John Fred Airport, Orange Region (JWA), owned and operated by the Region of Orange, is the only industrial support airport in Orange Region, California. The three-letter designator given to the Airport by the International Air Transportation Association (IATA) is “SNA.” The Airport is located around 35 miles south of Los Angeles, involving Costa Mesa, Irvine, and Newport Beach. The support area contains more than three million persons within the 34 towns and unincorporated areas of Orange County. In 2019, around 10.7 million guests were served.
The Airport is home to almost 500 common aviation (private, non-commercial) airplanes, representing 68% of overall operations at JWA. It is served by two full-service fixed bottom operators and one confined use common aviation ability (no gasoline sales). The Airport spans 500 acres and works two runways. The 2,887-foot runway serves common aviation, and the 5,700-foot main runway operates both industrial and standard aviation aircraft.
John Fred Statue
Orange Region Airport was renamed by the Orange Region Table of Supervisors on June 20, 1979, to recognize the late John Wayne. To remember the Airport’s namesake, the John Fred Associates commissioned sculptor Robert Summers to create a bronze statue of “The Duke.”
The nine-foot statue, developed at the Hoka Hello Foundry in Dublin, Texas, was focused on the Region on December 4, 1982, and fitted on a pedestal outside the Eddie Martin Terminal.
The statue was returned to the Hookah Hello Foundry on March 23, 1990, for refinishing and restoration in planning for the position in the Thomas F. Riley Terminal lobby. Summers added a fresh patina after removing the first end, putting subtle coloring to the statue’s conventional European garb. Based on the sculptor, the new ending is appropriate for the statue’s position under artificial lighting.
Situated on the Arrival (lower) Stage between Riley Devices A and T baggage claim areas, the statue sets atop a pedestal protected in the same marble that graces the entire facility. Made in two tiers to permit visitors to touch the figure, the pedestal provides a fitting home for one of many nation’s many liked and remembered patriots.